Posted by Admin & filed under Lighting Advice .

Lighting Facts

Attribution: Title: Question Mark | Author: Geralt | Licence: CC0 Public Domain

During the times of Thomas Edison, electric lights were already used but were expensive, noisy, too bright and impractical. People still used gas lights and candles to light up their homes and many inventors were trying to find a better solution to make light using electricity.

Thomas Edison’s invention of the light bulb in 1879 ushered in an era of change in the industry and his bulbs were first used on a steamship and a New York City factory. Edison Electric Company set up the first power station which generated and controlled electricity for an entire area.

Today, Energy Labelling Rule requires light bulb manufacturers to provide consumers with key information in an easy to read format. According to the Federal Trade Commission,

It gives shoppers the information they need to buy the most energy-efficient bulb to meet their lighting needs. The label includes a bulb’s brightness, energy cost, life, light appearance, and wattage. In addition, the principal display panel on the front of packaging focuses on lumens, a measure of brightness, rather than on watts, a measure of the amount of energy used, and includes the estimated yearly energy cost for each bulb. Bulbs themselves also feature lumens, and in the case of CFLs, a mercury disclosure.

Here are some top 10 interesting lighting facts

  1. Joseph Wilson Swan’s original low voltage, high current invention of the light bulb in 1850 is still used today in flashlights and automobiles.
  2. Lighting consumes a significant 19% of all electricity in the world whilst the rest of the 81% is consumed for other electrical use.
  3. Around 2/3 of all lighting currently used in the world is based on older and less energy efficient technology which were developed before 1970.
  4. Approximately 1/3 of global roads and motorways are still lit using cheap, inefficient 1960’s technology which are high pressure mercury lamps.
  5. The efficiency of the bulb is indicated with a 3 hour daily usage. The higher the number the more efficient the light source.
  6. The current changeover rate to new lighting technologies is simply too slow. For example, the changeover rate for street lighting 3% per year and office lighting 7% per year.
  7. An achievable average energy saving of 40% on all the lighting currently installed globally would save EUR 120 billion in energy costs which will equate to 630 million tonnes of CO2, 1,800 million barrels of oil equivalent and an annual output of 600 medium sized power stations @ 2TWh/y.
  8. Public and commercial buildings represent 60% of global lighting electricity usage in the world.
  9. The average individual project savings of 60-70% in energy costs per year can be achieved by switching from old to new office lighting.
  10. About 1/3 of global hotel rooms are still using energy inefficient products which uses 4-5 times more energy than the energy efficient alternatives.

Lighting Magic has a huge range of lighting to match all your rooms in your house and we have the expertise and advice to point you in the right direction. To get started simply click one of the links below to browse our extensive collections or give us a call on 0161 929 3388 and we will be glad to help you out!

View All Of Our Room RangesView Our Full Lighting RangeVisit Main Site